Wednesday, April 25, 2012

ENC Spring Faire 2012 Featured Artists - Patricia Gray

Come check out the artwork created by Patricia Gray at ENC's Spring Faire 2012. There will be lots to see and purchase! The Environmental Nature Center's Spring Faire 2012 will take place on May 5, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the ENC located at 1601 16th Street, Newport Beach, CA 92663.

Note from the artist: In Honor of all the internal gifts I've received in Nature - Today I am donating 10% of all my proceeds to: The California State Park Foundation, Yosemite Conservancy, and The Sierra Club.

Patricia Gray's Artist Statement: Ever since I was young, it seems that I have always beencreative. Whether, picking up watercolor 20 years ago, remodeling kitchens, redecorating homes, creating gardens, writing professionally or currently trying new Mixed Media techniques, I have always had a need to have my creativity come out in one way or another.


If I had to pinpoint my process, the central theme has always been, take something or a place, re-work it and make it beautiful. That’s exactly what’s exciting me about design and my current Upcycle Art. I can take something that just needs a little TLC and hopefully make it shine. I am deeply inspired by Nature and Buddhism, specifically the complex designs and sounds of Tibetan Buddhism. When I work with paint I am reminded that everything is fluid. When I work with rocks, I am reminded that things are solid. When I work with a black piece of tile, I am enthusiastic about how the design and colors I choose will change its blank appearance – as we can do in our lives, we create it.

I am reminded of that every time I work with a piece. I begin a work of art by looking at the item for a few minutes, whether it’s a vase, rock or blank canvas, then images flood my mind and then I start. I know a piece is done when I have to pull myself away from it and say enough is enough. This is still an area I struggle with.

When my work is going well, I am filled with a sense of harmony, peace and a big smile. When people see my work, I'd like them to be honest, whether they like it or not. I can always take something away from how each person perceives and interprets my art. My philosophy is that I am here to learn and I am constantly evolving from each piece or technique that I use.


No comments: